The shawl is an important part of human culture. It can be scrutinized as a traditional cloth which is used to cover the shoulders, head and the upper part of the body. Countries like China, India, Italy, France, German, the United Kingdom, Turkey, Spain, United Arab Emirates and Pakistan exports shawls. Every shawl has a uniqueness and its nativity to predict the prestige of the country.
Definition of the shawl
According to the oxford dictionary, the shawl is mentioned as a large piece of fabric worn over the shoulders or wrapped around a baby. Shawls are in triangular, rectangular and sometimes square shapes. Cloaks, capes, mantles, capote, manteau, and ponchos are some words that use to define shawls.
History of a shawl
The word, ”shawl “ comes to society in the 14th century. Shawls are invented by Sayeed Ali Hamadani in the 14th century. At the outset of that time, people use shawls to wear gracefully and fashionably. Nevertheless, it has become a trade now. The history of shawls runs to 14 centuries ago because shawls originated in China and prevailed in India. Consequently, shawls spread throughout Southern Europe and North Africa. Further, it is quite obvious that Kashmir is well known for shawls.
Types of shawls
There are several types of shawls all over the world. All the shawls are categorized into two groups as;
- Classic shawls
- Cotemporary shawls
Shawls in India
- Kashmir shawls -They are made up of wool from the cashmere goat or shahtoosh wool. Having a Kashmir weave is the main feature of these shawls.
- Kantha shawls -They are popular in West Bengal. Kantha shawls have an ancient embroidery mechanism
- Naga shawls – Red and black colour dyed wools are used to weave this type of shawl. “weft pattern “ is a major factor in naga shawls.
- Kullu shawls – Shawls which are originated in Himachal Pradesh and made up of Angola wools and Meriona wools.
- Pashmina shawls – Most popular shawls in India They are warm, soft and high quality than other shawls.
- Knit shawls – They are triangular and not shaped just like other shawls.
- Stole – Made up of fur and sometimes from expensive fabric.
What is the purpose of wearing shawls?
People wear shawls for various reasons. In the winter seasons, the environment is so cold. Therefore, shawls help to keep warm on cold days. Not only that but also you can prevent the scorching assistance of the sun. Shawls can be taken as a symbolic representation of one ‘s country. Being a conventional cloth, shawls assist to promote the heritage of the culture to the world. Moreover, shawls portray the perception of women’s luxurious way of living and glory.
You can get a clear knowledge about shawls from this article. Shawls depict the modesty of any kind of person who wears them.